Be my Bharrat, por favor

I guess I am never amazed these days at the lack of humor in reporting what seems obviously too damned funny to just ... well, not guffaw about.

The AP, in its infinite ability to dredge up news that the rest of us would say "that's dumber'n hell," has informed us that Bharrat Jagdeo isn't looking for Facebook friends. In fact, Bharrat probably doesn't even know you. I am certain he has never met me, though that's my loss. He is the president of Guyana.

For the challenged, it's a little sliver of country in the northeastern corner of South America. I can't tell you much more about the place, other than it has "officials" there who are warning us that Bharrat Jagdeo's office is not sending out invitations to join him in friendship on Facebook.

So if you see this, it's probably a scam, the AP says.

What amuses me is that it's being treated as though millions of people will suddenly get an epiphany moment and say, "I thought that was funny about Bharrat wanting to be my friend. I mean, Guyana and all. It just didn't add up."

Somebody in the country (or Nigeria or Bahrain or Taipai or Tangiers) is trying to con you out of money.

This isn't the first time it's happened. A year ago, somebody else pulled the same hoax with our pal Bharrat at the core of the joke. The man says he is far too busy to be involved in social networking.

Who knew?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus and the poor

Fall, colors and Halloween

A story worth repeating